American Military University (AMU) is a top provider of education to the U.S. Navy.* and a respected provider of higher education to adult learners working in the areas of national and homeland security, public safety, and beyond.
Our wide array of degree programs, liberal transfer credit policies, flexible learning environment and undergraduate book grant**, make AMU the perfect match for sailors wanting to enhance their current and post-military career opportunities.
*#1 educator to the military as reported by Military Times, July 2016.
**Our Undergraduate Book Grant provides textbooks, e-books, and other course materials at no cost for undergraduate-level courses for credit.
AMU Offers SOCNAV Approved Degree Programs
Servicemember Opportunity Colleges Navy Degree Network System (SOCNAV), is a system of college curriculum networks designed by SOC for Navy Servicemembers and their adult family members. As part of SOCNAV, colleges have agreed to accept each other's courses in a particular program of study. Students can move freely among the colleges in a network without having to worry about whether or not major related courses will transfer.
Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership (NCPDLP)
AMU is a participant school in the Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership (NCPDLP) which enables sailors to pursue rating-relevant degrees. This partnership provides the educational opportunities leading to associate and bachelor's degrees. As part of the Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership, AMU offers degree programs based on Navy rating.
What is a military and veteran friendly university?
As a service member, veteran or a military spouse, you might be looking to complete your education at a university that is military friendly. But what exactly does that mean? Here it means we understand your unique challenges and have a dedicated staff to support you. It means we offer these military-affiliated student benefits to limit your out-of-pocket costs:
- A tuition grant which caps our undergraduate tuition at $250/credit hour (the military TA cap) and graduate tuition at $325/credit hour for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans.
- Textbooks and/or e-books provided at no charge to students earning undergraduate academic credit, with no impact on military TA.
- Technology fees covered by grants for U.S. active-duty military service members, and for Guard and Reserve personnel when using military tuition assistance.
- Flexible, online course schedules that let you study whether on a rotating work shift or on deployment.
- Possible credit for military education and training courses including CCAF, JST, DANTES, and ACE-evaluated training.