As a top online university, American Military University (AMU) is the #1 provider of education to the U.S. military.* and a respected provider of higher education to adult learners working in the areas of national and homeland security, public safety, and beyond.
AMU is the school of choice for nearly 5,700 Marines. Why? Because our flexible learning environment allows you to take courses from anywhere around the globe. As an AMU student you’ll never have to worry about transferring your courses to another university. We will take care of you, from Camp Lejeune to Baghdad, with knowledgeable faculty, caring on-site education coordinators and a crack team of student services professionals, standing ready to troubleshoot any problem you might encounter.
*#1 educator to the military as reported by Military Times, July 2016.
AMU Offers SOCMAR Approved Degree Programs
American Military University is proud to join the schools offering degree programs in support of the SOCMAR Servicemember Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Degree Network System, a system of college curriculum networks designed by SOC for Marine Corps Servicemembers and their adult family members.
As part of SOCMAR, colleges have agreed to accept each other's courses in a particular program of study. Students can move freely among the colleges in a network without having to worry about whether or not major related courses will transfer.
What is a military and veteran friendly university?
As a service member, veteran or a military spouse, you might be looking to complete your education at a university that is military friendly. But what exactly does that mean? Here it means we understand your unique challenges and have a dedicated staff to support you. It means we offer these military-affiliated student benefits to limit your out-of-pocket costs:
- A tuition grant which caps our undergraduate tuition at $250/credit hour (the military TA cap) and graduate tuition at $325/credit hour for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans.
- Textbooks and/or e-books provided at no charge to students earning undergraduate academic credit, with no impact on military TA.
- Technology fees covered by grants for U.S. active-duty military service members, and for Guard and Reserve personnel when using military tuition assistance.
- Flexible, online course schedules that let you study whether on a rotating work shift or on deployment.
- Possible credit for military education and training courses including CCAF, JST, DANTES, and ACE-evaluated training.