American Military University (AMU) is the #1 provider of education to the U.S. military.* and a respected provider of higher education to adult learners working in the areas of national and homeland security, public safety, and beyond.
As one of the largest providers of academic programs to the U.S. Coast Guard, AMU offers the right blend of mission relevant courses and degree programs to those seeking to enhance their careers in a meaningful way. Our degree programs such as Homeland Security, Intelligence and Criminal Justice are tailor-made for those entrusted with protecting the public, our borders, and security interests around the globe.
*2016 DoD data as reported by Military Times, 2017.
SOCCOAST Servicemember Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Degree Network System
AMU is proud to join the schools offering degree programs in support of the SOCCOAST Servicemember Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Degree Network System, a system of college curriculum networks designed by SOC for Coast Guard Servicemembers and their adult family members.
As part of SOCCOAST, colleges have agreed to accept each other's courses in a particular program of study. Students can move freely among the colleges in a network without having to worry about whether or not major related courses will transfer.
What is a military and veteran friendly university?
As a service member, veteran or a military spouse, you might be looking to complete your education at a university that is military friendly. But what exactly does that mean? Here it means we understand your unique challenges and have a dedicated staff to support you. It means we offer these military-affiliated student benefits to limit your out-of-pocket costs:
- A tuition grant which caps our undergraduate tuition at $250/credit hour (the military TA cap) and graduate tuition at $325/credit hour for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans.
- Textbooks and/or e-books provided at no charge to students earning undergraduate academic credit, with no impact on military TA.
- Technology fees covered by grants for U.S. active-duty military service members, and for Guard and Reserve personnel when using military tuition assistance.
- Flexible, online course schedules that let you study whether on a rotating work shift or on deployment.
- Possible credit for military education and training courses including CCAF, JST, DANTES, and ACE-evaluated training.